Skip the grocery stores this Thanksgiving and support local farmers by purchasing a locally sourced, pasture raised turkey!
This November, ERA Team VP Real Estate & Vacation Rentals has teamed up with Good Grass Farm, located in Ashville NY, to encourage local residents to choose a fresh, ethically raised alternative to your usual Thanksgiving bird.
Good Grass Farm
Opened in 2002, and operating under Good Grass Farm since 2008, the local homestead prides itself on being a diversified, sustainable, pasture-based meat farm. Owners Jeffrey & Karen Creager seasonally raise beef cattle, broiler chickens, turkeys, and a flock of layer hens. They also grow blueberries (free from herbicides, pesticides, and chemical fertilizers) and organic heirloom produce. The small-scale sustainable farm’s goal is to “raise and grow the best food possible, for [their] table and yours.”
Raised with Love
Good Grass Farm receives day old chicks (also known as poults) in the middle of June from Ohio’s Myer Hatchery. Raising these young birds into happy, healthy turkeys is no easy feat! Unlike chickens, who are born with the natural ability to forage, turkey poults need a little guidance to start off their journey. Jeffrey teaches the poults how to eat by lovingly dipping their beaks into their feed and water. The first 4-6 weeks of the bird’s life is spent in a temperature controlled brooder. Then they are moved to a large pasture-pen (to protect the birds from predators) where they spend the summer outside grazing on fresh blades of grass.
Fresh and Flavorful
Poults are fed a milled mix of grains, corn, oats, roasted soy beans, and natural minerals, but the real secret to the extra special flavor is a result of their upbringing. “Past customers think the bird tastes so good because it’s fresh. They don’t really realize it’s also the way the bird is raised and what the birds eat, they aren’t raised in a dark room crammed with 1,000 other birds,” explains Jeffrey Creager, “the birds get moved as necessary to fresh grass, and they graze it right down as a cow does. They’ll scratch and pick and dig up worms and bugs, and it really changes the flavor profile of the bird.”
Reserve your Bird
This year, the farm has 59 Broad-breasted white turkeys for sale, with 20 already reserved, so there is still time to reserve you very own locally sourced bird for your Thanksgiving table. All birds are processed on the farm, by the owners, by hand, in a very sanitary and humane method, without the use of machines. Processing takes place Sunday – Tuesday before Thanksgiving, with pick-ups scheduled anytime on Monday – Wednesday, guaranteeing that your bird will be fresh for your holiday table! Visit GoodGrassFarm.com for more information.
This year’s average turkey will weigh between 16-22 pounds, with a purchase price of $4.50/lb.
Enter to Win!
ERA Team VP is thankful for local farms providing our plates with locally sourced, ethically raised cuisine! Everyone who comments on our “What Are You Thankful For?” Facebook post AND likes our Facebook page will be entered to win a Good Grass Farm’s pasture raised Broad-breasted white turkey for Thanksgiving! The winner will be drawn on Friday, November 18th at noon and will be notified through Facebook. Prize valued at approximately $80.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. HOW TO ENTER: The giveaways begin from the moment to post is shared on the ERA Team VP Real Estate & Vacation Rentals Facebook page through the 11:59 a.m. EST on November 18th, 2016. Any entries received after the contest has closed will not be included.
In order to enter, participants are required to do the following:
- Like ERA Team VP Real Estate & Vacation Rental’s Facebook page
- Leave a comment on the “What Are YOU Thankful For?” post answering the question asked
2. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older at time of entry.
3. WINNERS SELECTION: Winners will be selected within 72 hours after the close of the event from among all eligible entries received during the Giveaway. Winners will be determined at random Random.org. Winners will be publicly announced on the site and contacted by Taylor Lehman Hayes via Facebook messenger. Winners will need to contact Good Grass Farms to arrange a pick-up time/date for their turkey.
4. PRIZES/APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE: Prize valued at approximately $80 depending on the weight of the turkey. Odds of winning prize is dependent upon the total number of eligible entries recieved.
5. GENERAL: Subject to all federal, state and local laws/regulations. Neither ERA Team VP, Good Grass Farm, nor their affiliates will have any liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused by any prize or resulting from acceptance, possession, use and/or misuse of any prize or participation in these promotions. Acceptance of a prize shall be construed as and signify the winner’s agreement and consent that ERA Team VP or Good Grass Farm may use the winner’s name, voice, likeness and/or prize information, without limitation, for promotional purposes without further consideration, review, approval or payment, where allowed by law. By participating in this promotion, entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of the ERA Team VP and Good Grass Farm, which are final and binding in all respects. ERA Team VP and Good Grass Farm are not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer or in administration of the promotion.
6. INTERNET: Neither ERA Team VP nor Good Grass Farm is responsible for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Blogger or Sponsor on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof.
If for any reason the promotions are not capable of running as planned for any reason ERA Team VP reserves the right in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Giveaway and select the winners by random drawing from among all eligible entries received from all methods combined up to the point of the action taken by the ERA Team VP.
7. SPONSOR / PRIZE FULFILLMENT: ERA Team VP is the host of the giveaway and is in no way to be considered the Sponsor. Good Grass Farm is deemed to be the party providing the product for the giveaway.